The American Legion Riders are motorcycle enthusiasts who participate in escorts, parades, motorcycling events, and supporting the communities in which they live, work, and play.
Members of the ALR come from the Legion, the Legion Auxiliary, and the Sons of the American Legion. Supporting the Mission of the American Legion, Veterans and Active Military is what we are all about.
Today over 425 American Legion Riders programs, organized by chapters, districts, or departments, support Americanism and Children and Youth programs in virtually every state in the nation, and more are organizing each month.
One of the fastest-growing and most highly visible of the many programs offered by The American Legion, The American Legion Riders are a very diverse group, and so are the programs that they support. What do American Legion Riders do? The activities are far too many to mention in this space, but here are a few examples:
• American Legion Riders chapters and districts, nationally, have become some of the most generous donors for the American Legacy Scholarship Fund, raising as much as $5,000 or more in a single event.
• Legion Riders participate in the annual POW/MIA Rally held each Memorial weekend in Washington D.C. known as "Rolling Thunder".
• Legion Riders sponsor or participate in local and national charity events in support of the sponsoring American Legion Post.
• Legion Riders ride to raise money for such organizations as local VA Hospitals, Battered Women and Children's Center, Varied Children and Youth programs, a School for Blind Children, Veterans Relief, Needy families and many, many others.
• Legion Riders founded a national movement called Patriot Guards that honors and protects the sanctity of military funerals and memorial services.
• Legion Riders have formed special motorcycle Honor Guards and ceremonial teams highlighting the special bonds formed in military service and the motorcycling community.
• Legion Riders have also begun to teach motorcycle and driver safety in the community and in schools in cooperation with ABATE and other national motorcycling organizations.
Remember: American Legion Riders are a very dedicated group of Legion Family members. When your Post or district sponsors a new Riders organization, you create a win/win situation for your post, district, and Department!